Has your dermatologist recommended a laser for your skin? Did it worry you? I’m sure you had a hundred thoughts and questions regarding LASERs. ‘why can’t I just use creams?’, what are its side effects? will it get worse?
Cutis believes in imparting knowledge to our patients so that you are aware and conscious of the choices you make for your skin. Cutis Skin Solutions has been the pioneer in lasers in India in the dermatology world. We can boast to not only have at least 10 types of lasers but also keep ourselves updated with the latest technology. So here we are to explain the basics and clear all your doubts.
What is a LASER?
LASER is an intense pulse of light that focusses on a small part of your skin with high energy.
The LASER beam can gently target the skin tissues to treat wrinkles, open pores, fine lines, scars or target melanin and help in reducing pigmentation, sun spots and the laser targeting the hair follicle helps destroy the hair growth on any part of the bosy.
There are also energy devices like Radiofrequencies and High intensity ultrasound that help is contouring the face and body.
Alongside injectable like Neuromodulator and fillers, Laser facials are trending these days, who wouldn’t love a long lasting glow with a smoother, tighter skin.
How do lasers work?
The laser machine filters light and emits a particular wavelength which targets the desired cells in the skin. There are about 10 different lasers today, each addressing particular concerns in our skin.
Different types of lasers –
- For pigmentation – q switch lasers help in achieving an even toned complexion by targeting the excess melanin deposition in the skin. Besides removing the tanning and over all pigmentation. This laser also helps in removing freckles, sun spots, birth marks, tattoos.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHCR24ki5wo – watch video of how to get rid of pigmentation with q switch – helios laser.
- For deep cleansing and brightening – ‘carbon facial’ is ideal. The carbon facial also involves the same q switch laser used for pigmentation, but first a layer of carbon is applied on the face. It adheres to the skin and enters the open pores. As the carbon is black in color, the q switch laser vaporises and lifts it off the skin along with the impurities in the skin.
- For laser hair removal – here the target is the growing cells in the bulge of the hair follicle. The laser targets the melanin in the hair which generates heat and destroys the follicle, without affecting the superficial skin. There are multiple laser machines for laser hair removal – there’s diode, ND YAG, IPL etc. the latest technology as of 2019 and also the most effective is the triple wavelength laser which helps in targeting different types of hair in the skin and hence achieve superior results. If you have grey/white hair which means almost no melanin, the laser will not work as there is no melanin for the laser to target.
Watch how safe laser hair removal is as we show on a teenager –https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZM9ThrZi9Wk
- For scars – there are many treatments options for scars – the earliest being derma rollers and TCA chemical peel treatment, but lasers have outdone them in terms on effectivity and tolerance. Co2 laser effectively causes collagen remodelling and improves acne scars, surgery scars, open pores, stretch marks. More advanced technology includes radiofrequency based devices – micro needling radiofrequency (MNRF) and Nano fractional radiofrequency (Venus viva). Achieve smoother skin with less downtime, faster results with these advanced technologies. Learn more about acne scars and watch this video showing micro needling radiofrequency (MNRF) giving fantastic results for acne scars https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2uD4ZWQa_w
- For contouring – achieve a contoured, tight, younger looking face non surgically with the help of radiofrequencies like EXILIS and Venus Legacy. In just a few sessions, you can achieve contouring of not just the face, but can also achieve contouring for body parts like abdomen, love handles, bra fat, cellulite etc. the radiofrequency causes collagen remodelling at a deeper level in the skin and makes skin tighter.
- For face lift – non surgical facelift was only a dream before this technology was introduced. HIFU / ULTHERA have made it possible to get tighter skin with permanent, long lasting results. This ultrasound technology not only helps in skin tightening but also in reducing the unwanted chubbiness on the face. A sharp chiselled jawline is not a dream anymore.
- For acne – IPL And LED help in reducing acne. The blue light triggers porphyrin production in the skin. Porphyrins kill the acne causing bacteria and have an anti-inflammatory effect.
- For fat reduction – cryolipolysis! Cooltech is a great technology that freezes our fat cells and removes the excess fat bulges! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yY40oSz7jmg
Are lasers painful?
Most lasers are comfortable treatments. A few lasers may be slightly uncomfortable and may feel like a mild prickling sensation to a flick of an elastic band. We do apply anaesthetic creams to make the procedure more comfortable.
Some are even comforting and feel like a massage like radiofrequency for skin tightening.
Side-effects and after care?
If used correctly there are no side effects with lasers. Lasers are gentle and slow and steady. Most of these we do over a few sessions. This makes the treatments gentle and not too aggressive on the skin, allowing the skin to heal in time.
Care after lasers is as minimal as the home care required on skin on a routine basis.
Sun protection is needed before and after the lasers with the help of sunscreens.
Gentle cleansing. No scrubbing a week post laser treatment.
We recommend a good skin care routine customised for your skin type.
Do you have to stop any of your daily activities or exercises? – not at all. Lasers act inside the skin and so you need not stop or alter your daily activities. You can apply makeup. You can exercise as usual.
In some lasers like the ones for scars – mild redness is visible for 2 to 3 days so we advise you to plan your schedule accordingly.
Remember there are various laser machines available and you need to choose the best for yourself to be stress free of sideeffects and choose the most advanced laser with the best doctors and therapists performing the laser to get optimum desired results.
Look for quality service rather than cheap lasers. It’s your skin and it’s going to represent you forever!